In 1990 Alfred M. Silberfeld formed the Delray Genealogy Club with 3 members. In 1991, Mona Freedman Morris arrived in Florida from New Jersey and formed the Jewish Genealogical Society. Armed with a list of names of subscribers from Avotaynu’s Gary Mokotoff, Mona found Al. The first planning meeting took place at Mona’s kitchen table. Included were 10 people (a minyan) and a good omen.
Under the energetic leadership of co-founders Morris and Silberfeld, the ten member society expanded rapidly.
JGSPBCI Mission Statement & Objectives
- Assist and promote the research of Jewish family history
- Elevate the status and role in the Jewish and academic community
- Encourage interested persons to pursue & preserve genealogical data
- Engage in activities permitted as non-profit 501(c)(3)
- Establish a scholarly organization preserving Jewish family histories
- Provide opportunities for the sharing of Jewish genealogical information
- Publish in the field of Jewish Genealogy